[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4182: Ubuntu 12.04 client can't print to 10.04 server network printer

Jan Rheinländer jrheinlaender at gmx.de
Fri Sep 7 08:06:11 PDT 2012

I have the following setup:

Ubuntu 10.04 server with CUPS v1.4.3

Network printer, installed on the server as
hp:/net/Officejet_6500_E709n?ip=<printer-ip>, and published by the server
to the network via cups

Ubuntu 12.04 client running CUPS v1.5.3 with the cups option to show
printers shared by other machines. The network printer then appears as
ipp://<server-ip>:631/printers/<name> on the client machine

When I print to this printer, the job fails with "Unable to add document
to print job"

I found two ways to work around this:

If I install the network printer on the client directly with hp-setup it
will be listed as hp:/net/Officejet_6500_E709n?ip=<printer-ip> and
printing works fine

If on the client I turn off the option in cups to show printers shared by
other machines, and use the system-config-printer "Add printer" dialog to
instead add the printer shared by the server, setting the ipp14 backend
manually, it shows up as ipp14://<server-ip>:631/printers/<name> and
printing also works fine.

But since the server does page accounting to bill the printed pages to
different users, both workarounds are not an option.