[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4309: Printer crashes after print out is finished

Dirk Montgomery qjn at gmx.de
Sat Apr 6 06:06:23 PDT 2013

Dear all,

I have a Canon Pixma MP600 printer/scanner connected via USB to a small
print- and scan-server running Arch with CUPS 1.6.2. The printer is shared
over the network and can be accessed from a Windows 7 client and a Debian
Sid client. The printer is installed as a "Raw" printer to be used from
the Windows 7 client with the original Canon drivers installed on the
client. In addition, the same printer is installed with the Gutenprint
5.2.9 to be accessed from the Debian Sid client. In principle this works
without an issue.

But after 1-2 printing jobs have been finished, the printer crashes. The
jobs run through without an issue, no matter how many pages the job has.
When this crash happens, the printer does not react to any action (power
button, sending another job etc.) and only a power disconnect can bring
the printer back to life. In addition, I have to delete the printer from
the CUPS config and re-add it, so it can be used again. While this
happens, CUPS shows the status "Sending data to printer". This is
independent from the OS, so no matter if I print from the Windows client
or the Debian client, this crash happens.

A Google search brought up similar (but not same) issues and I tried
blacklisting "usblp" and "lpadmin -p <queue> -o usb-unidir-default=true",
but nothing helped. I still get these annoying printer crashes.

If the printer is connected directly to the Windows client, it works
without an issue (means no crashes at all). If connected to the Debian Sid
client, running CUPS 1.5.3, the same crashes happen. That's why, I assume a
CUPS problem and not a printer problem.

I am not sure, if the information provided is enough. Please ask, if
something is missing.

Any hint is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Dirk

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4309
Version: 1.6.2