[cups.development] Detect Printer Capabilities

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 16 07:00:32 PDT 2013

Hello,

On Apr 16 06:04 Peter M. Groen wrote (excerpt):
> I'm facing the problem to determine what the capabilities of the
> printer are. (Does it support PDF? PCL? HP/GL? Color? B&W?)

If "printer" means the actual printer device (and not the print queue)
I think the IEEE-1284 device information might help (in some cases).

The IEEE-1284 device information is reported by the CUPS backends
and what the CUPS backends report is shown by "lpinfo -l -v" like
# lpinfo -l -v
Device: uri = socket://192.168.1.2
         class = network
         info = FunPrinter 1000
         make-and-model = ACME FunPrinter 1000
         device-id = ID:FP-1000;
                     MFG:Acme;
                     CMD:PCLXL,PostScript Emulation,PCL5,PJL;
                     MDL:FunPrinter-1000;
                     CLS:PRINTER;
                     DES:ACME FunPrinter 1000;
This works only for printers that respond properly to the queries.
For me it works only for some network printers but I do not get
"CMD" IEEE-1284 device information for my USB PostScript printer.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner