[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #4254: cupsd hangs when accessing remotely over ssl

Conklin,Paul W. Paul.Conklin at Cerner.com
Fri Jan 11 13:01:03 PST 2013

Sorry to reply to this e-mail directly, since the STR is closed, I wasn't sure if you would see it.

I can try that, however why is it that all of the pre 1.6.1 versions do not have this issue?

Paul W. Conklin
Sr. Team Lead, CWx Tech Delivery Services
paul.conklin at cerner.com | 816-201-7128 direct | 816-885-5691
www.cerner.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Sweet [mailto:msweet at apple.com]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:58 PM
To: Conklin,Paul W.
Cc: Conklin,Paul W.; cups-bugs at cups.org
Subject: Re: [MOD] STR #4254: cupsd hangs when accessing remotely over ssl

[STR Closed w/Resolution]

OK, I'm guessing your system doesn't have enough entropy to generate the self-signed key, which is blocking things.

If you just create your own SSL certificate and private key (just follow any Apache tutorial for making a self-signed cert) and tell cupsd to use it (ServerCertificate and ServerKey directives) then this problem should just go away.

Unfortunately, OpenSSL does not provide any way to protect against this, unlike GNU TLS on Linux... :(

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4254
Version: 1.6.1
Fix Version: None

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.