[cups-devel] In reference to: http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2008-April/007718.html

Helge Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Fri Apr 18 06:27:51 PDT 2014

As for the socket backend of CUPS, it supports bidi, but if you can
make use of it
depends on the printer's implementation.
If they are sufficiently compatible to the HP implementation
("JetDirect"), and the
printer understands HP's PJL, you could nanage to insert
@PJL USTATUS JOB=ON
@PJL JOB NAME = "jobname"
into the initial PJL sequence, and
replace the final excape sequence by
^[%-12345X at PJL EOJ NAME = "jobname"
^[%-12345X at PJL USTATUS OFF
(^[ denotes the escape character).

If your printer needs no PJL commands and spedak PostScript
(level 2 at least preferred), you could append the statement
(\000)print flush
to the PostScript job to cause the printer's PS interpreter to flush
back
a final null byte to your backend.

Depending on the make and model of the printer, you probably need
to experiment a little with this stuff.
Feel free to ask me off the list.

Helge