[cups-devel] Remote and local printing problems

Joel Miller w2tq at mail.com
Sat Jun 21 14:31:57 PDT 2014

I am posting this message to the user and developer lists.

I have installed openSuse 13.1 (clean, new install, stock with initial
updates only) on two machines in a network, one of which has an HP
Laserjet 4050 printer, connected to a SIIG PCI card with parallel port
recognized and configured by openSuSE 13.1, driver: HP LaserJet 4050
Series Postscript (recommended).

I can print locally through LibreOffice and VirtuaBox running Windows XP
but not through KDE applications (e.g., KATE, terminal).  Printing from
the remote machine fails on many applications, but does work via Samba
when the local machine is running Windows XP.  I have tried using every
driver available on openprinting.org to no avail.  Some of the history
and logs can be viewed at:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=120835  See also:
https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/247789

Under Samba, I had no problems printing with this printer for about ten
years, but now I am not able to print properly in a pure Linux
environment.  I am unable to determine whether this a driver issue, a
change in CUPS, an intermittent problem caused by the parallel port
configuration, or something else altogether.

All suggestions welcome.