[cups-devel] [UNKN] STR #4444: Missing '.' seperator in debugging output from backend/dnssd

pseudonomous noreply at cups.org
Thu Jun 26 12:33:30 PDT 2014

See ubuntu bug (cups 1.7.2):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/1334449?comments=all
If for debugging purposes one reads the output from running:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd

at the command line, one will see statements like:

DEBUG: Found "Sales._ipp._tcpzeroconf.org"...
DEBUG: Querying "Sales._ipp._tcp.zeroconf.org"...
DEBUG: sent=0, count=1
DEBUG: Found "Stuart's Home AirPrint Printer._ipp._tcpzeroconf.org"...
DEBUG: Found "3rd. Floor Copy Room._ipp._tcpzeroconf.org"...
DEBUG: Found "Engineering._ipp._tcpzeroconf.org"...
DEBUG: Found "Marketing._ipp._tcpzeroconf.org"...

The domain component is not separated from the 'protocol component' of the
dns record.

I have been unable to get cups to work with non-local (I mean services that
are not served up by mdns in the domain .local) dns-sd ipp printers. (using
unicast dns, I have gotten this to work with cups on OS X 10.6). I kept
getting a DNS error:

ERROR: DNS failure: NXDOMAIN

At first I believed this was because the dns name was being constructed
incorrectly, but after reading the source, I believe the problem is
unrelated.

It seems likely to me that there is actually a problem with doing unicast
dns lookups with Avahi, however, because of the weird debugging output from
backend/dnssd, one is misled to believe that cups is constructing the wrong
dnsname to look up.

I have confirmed the bug exists in cups 1.7.3 on Arch Linux as well.  It's
trivial to fix, but I've included a patch anyways.  This bug does not exist
with the version of cups (1.4.7) shipped with OS X 10.6.8, I do not know if
it exists on more recent versions of OS X, but I don't see any reason why
the code should be platform specific.

It should be trivial to patch; patch is attached.

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4444