[cups-devel] print appears to be successful, but no output

Helge Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Sun Mar 9 14:34:31 PDT 2014

Dean,

I installed an HP PSC 1200 printer on a Ubuntu based Linux system and
found
that the resulting data format is quite different from that one
originating from
your Windows box.
After further research, I found out that
–	your Win originated print file contains data in PCL3GUI format
(which is
	in essence a PCL3 encapsulation of highly compressed image data;
–	the Linux based print file contains compressed image data without
	any PCLx encapsulation, and looking into the implementation details
	told me this implementation used a HP proprietary printer language
	named LIDIL ( Lightweight Imaging Device Interface Language), which has
	been developed in about 2000.

I guess that your WIndows system is an XP system (originating before
about 2000)
and thus supporting a technically different printer.

If you only need to print to your Linux printer from a Windows box,
I'd suggest to
redefine the printer on Windows as a PostScript color printer (say, as
a Color Laserjet).
Then the print files originating from the Windows box will be run
through the
CUPS filter chain on your Linux box and (hopefully) print in
reasonable quality
on your real PSC 1200 printer.

Helge