[cups-devel] Unable to create temporary folder or socket bind in CUPS(v2.0) backend

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 18 07:58:30 PDT 2014

See:

    http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-2.0/api-filter.html#SANDBOXING

Basically, OS X Yosemite further enforces the documented restrictions for filters and backends in CUPS, and even backends running as root cannot do anything they want on the system.  The above link provides an unambiguous definition of the directories you can write to from a backend, along with the other documented restrictions.