[cups-devel] Are "What's new in CUPS X.Y?" and "cupsd.conf reference" web pages gone forever?

pipitas pipitas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:00:36 PDT 2015

Up to version 1.6 (and in parts also version 1.7), there are articles on
the cups.org website headlined:

   "What's New in CUPS 1.x"

which give a good overview of the major changes in the respective CUPS
releases:

* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/whatsnew.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/whatsnew.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/whatsnew.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/whatsnew.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.7/whatsnew.html

Also, for the same set of releases there are:

* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/ref-cupsd-conf.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/ref-cupsd-conf.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/ref-cupsd-conf.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/ref-cupsd-conf.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.7/ref-cupsd-conf.html

and (after the introduction of `cups-files.conf`):

* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/ref-cups-files-conf.html
* https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.7/ref-cups-files-conf.html

As of 2.0 (and 2.1) these series are now gone and not continued any more.

Is that an error or was that a deliberate decision?

For me personally, all these pages used to be a very useful resource to
refer to. It would be extremely useful to have them back.

If it is a question of resources to continue to provide them, I would
volunteer (as I'm sure others on this list would also do) in order to bring
them back!

(After all, these are not mean to change frequently AFAICS, because they
don't need to change within any major release, no?)