[cups-devel] [ipptool] Can I query CUPS for PPD-defined queue-specific print job attributes?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Nov 2 07:42:02 PST 2015

Kurt,

> On Oct 31, 2015, at 8:23 PM, pipitas <pipitas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I ask CUPS to retrieve and report other PPD information as well, if I
> know (and tell CUPS) the non-standard optionnames/keywords?

CUPS only maps PPD options that correspond to existing IPP attributes; I wrote up what was supported as part of a (now abandoned) PWG specification on mapping PPDs to the PWG Job Ticket (XML version of IPP that is used for interchange).

The short (but not complete) list of options/keywords that are supported is:

- PageSize/PageRegion
- MediaType
- InputSlot
- OutputBin
- Resolution
- ColorModel
- Duplex
- cupsIPPFinishings
- cupsPrintQuality

The latter two are CUPS-specific to deal with the lack of support for sane/common finishing and print quality options in PPDs.

The goal of the current PPD mapping code is simply to support standard IPP Everywhere attributes and support print clients that do not need to know anything about PPDs.  We have no desire to support every esoteric printer driver option via dedicated IPP options - for that we can continue to pass PPD options over IPP as needed.