[cups-devel] replacement for ppdc?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Nov 10 18:15:14 PST 2015

Samuel,

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 7:25 PM, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I see in the ppdc manpage that it is considered deprecated, but the
> manpage doesn't say what is supposed to replace it, and I couldn't find
> that information in the cups documentation either: what is supposed to
> generated .ppd files nowadays?

There is no replacement for ppdc.  PPD files in general are deprecated, with the long-term goal being to support direct IPP printing using things like IPP Everywhere and not needing printer drivers at all.

That said, when we deprecated PPDs and the PPD compiler 6+ years ago in CUPS 1.4, we also added support for new PPD keywords to support new driver things. :)  If you are doing drivers, keep using PPDs and ppdc.

(Most printers sold today - some 98% or so at least - support IPP and IPP USB, so the need for printer drivers continues to fade...)