[cups-devel] [UNKN] STR #4736: [ipptool] Cannot get the print device to staple (and print device uses "cups-" prefix in some "-supported" job attributes)

Pipitas noreply at cups.org
Wed Oct 28 16:32:16 PDT 2015

A print device, when queried about its supported job attributes with the
help of ipptool loaded with the "ipp-1.1.test" reports:

~~~
finishings-supported (1setOf enum) = \
  none,\
  staple,\
  punch,\
  edge-stitch,\
  staple-top-left,\
  staple-top-right,\
  edge-stitch-left,\
  edge-stitch-top,\
  edge-stitch-right,\
  staple-dual-left,\
  staple-dual-top,\
  staple-dual-right,\
  cups-punch-dual-left,\
  cups-punch-dual-top,\
  cups-punch-dual-right,\
  cups-punch-quad-left,\
  cups-punch-quad-top,\
  cups-punch-quad-right
~~~

(line continuation markers inserted by me to help readability). With
operation "Print-Job" on this printer with ipptool using the following job
attribute setting:

~~~
  GROUP job-attributes-tag
  [....]
  ATTR keyword sides two-sided-short-edge
  [....]
  FILE document-a4.pdf
~~~

the printout is duplexed exactly as requested. Adding the request for
stapling does not work (output is duplex again, but not stapled):

~~~
  GROUP job-attributes-tag
  [....]
  ATTR keyword sides two-sided-short-edge
  ATTR enum finishings staple-top-edge
  [....]
  FILE document-a4.pdf
~~~

(Reference is to cups-dev mailing list posting:
https://cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2015-October/016573.html where I also
wondered in passing, why the print device reply seems to include a "cups-"
prefix in some of its supported *punch-* attributes. -- Maybe *that* was
what Mike meant when he asked me to file an STR?)

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4736
Version: 2.2-current