[cups-devel] How do I correct the ppd file for my HP P2055dn?

Frank Tarczynski ftarz at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 3 12:22:42 PDT 2015

I am running CUPS V1.6.3 on a Centos 7.1 box with a HP laserjet P2055dn
printer. Printing works fine for letter-size paper.

However when I try to print using 5x7 paper the image does not print as
expected. I select Photo 5x7 in and manual feeder as the default printer
options in CUPS and send a 5x7 PDF image to the printer. The resulting
output looks like the 5x7 bounding box has it's origin at the
lower-lefthand corner of a letter-size page instead of the 5x7 paper.

In the ppd file I see: *ImageableArea Photo5x7/Photo 5x7in: "18 14 342 490"

The "18 14" agrees with the minimum margins for the P2055dn on the left
and right. But CUPS seems to be using the "18 14" location for a
letter-size paper rather than the 5x7 page during printing. Paper sizes
smaller than letter-size are held in the middle of the feed-path and so
the image runs off the left size of the page.

Can I add the appropriate extra space to the *ImageableArea
Photo5x7/Photo 5x7in: "18 14 342 490" to shift the image area to the
right and up for correct printing? Or is CUPS just supposed to handle
this by itself?

Frank