[cups-devel] [cups] IPP backend bug

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov cups at mva.name
Sun Sep 6 12:55:35 PDT 2015

Hi Michael (or anyone else, who can help withe the issue)!

I just realized, that my initial issue is a bit complex:

It seems, it is impossible (since 1.6) to make CUPS to be a *client* of the
network IPP printer, when printer drivers are installed *locally* (like on
Windows machines).

It doesn't matter, what is on the remote side, will it be CUPS or any "tiny"
dumb IPP server.

Windows machines are installing drivers locally and so they can "talk" with
printer over this "dumb" IPP "transport".

While CUPS (since 1.6 and for now) requires the opposite: drivers should be
installed on the remote side (which is sometimes impossible) and local CUPS
should connect there with generic/raw driver. It can kinda work (with
artefacts, tho) of there is CUPS on the remote end. But if there is any other
IPP implementation (including hardware/semi-hardware ones) — it will fail (if
printer itself doesn't support raw driver out of the box).

So, I think, it is a regression bug, but I ask for help to make proper
bugreport about this problem (introduced in 1.6).

В письме от Пн, 27 октября 2014 10:45:45 пользователь Michael Sweet написал:
> Vadim,
>
> > On Oct 27, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <cups at mva.name>
> > wrote: ...
> > Thanks for the info! I didn't know about that (btw, why it working with
> > <1.6 CUPS then?).
>
> It is possible that the MIME media type passed to the server (or the
> auto-detected type on the server) were different.
> > But... What driver should I use for shared printer then? CUPS anyway
> > asking to select printer driver when I adding remote ipp-printer...
>
> Use the "raw" driver.

Best regards,
mva