[cups-devel] IPP backend bug

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Sep 7 14:01:35 PDT 2015

Johannes,

> On Sep 7, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>

> Hello Michael
>
> On Oct 27 09:48 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
>> If you are using printer sharing (and thus are using
>> the IPP backend to send the print job to the server),
>> you MUST NOT use the Gutenprint driver on the client
>> system, otherwise you will have problems like this.
>
> I am a bit puzzled by your comment.
>
> I think it should work to run the filtering (including
> the printer driver) on the client system and then use
> the IPP backend to send printer-specific data to the
> final recipient (either a queue or a printer device).

The issue is the MIME typing on the CUPS server - if the server doesn't recognize the MIME media type then you may end up with extra filtering.

I'm not saying it can't work (because we have customers that use that configuration all of the time), it is just that we get a lot of support calls when people try to do Microsoft-style printer sharing to a server that is also hosting a CUPS printer driver on the same queue.