[cups-devel] Saving all properties of a CUPS queue

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:50:07 PDT 2015

Hi,

cups-browsed creates local print queues for IPP printers appearing in
the network, either remote shared CUPS queues or physical IPP network
printers. These queues are not set up permanently, but removed again if
the remote printer disappears (printer or remote server disconnected or
turned off, local machine disconnected from network, ...) or
cups-browsed is shut down.

The problem is now that if a user is changing setting on these queues,
the settings get lost when cups-browsed removes the queues due to the
above-mentioned reasons. Therefore I want to backup ALL settings of the
print queue before I remove it.

I know how to save and restore the PPD options for a queue for a
physical IPP printer with auto-generated PPD (IPP Everywhere) but how do
I handle non-PPD options, like copies, number-up, description, location,
media, ...? How do I read out the FULL set of these options from an
existing print queue? And how do I apply them to a newly created queue
so that the new queue is an exact clone of the old one?

    Till