[cups-devel] Windows IPP authentication against CUPSStephan

stephanwib at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 06:10:07 PST 2016

Hi!

This is probably more related to Windows itself. I´m just asking in
case someone by chance knows a solution.

Windows 7 and 10 can both be connected to a CUPS server via IPP with
either no authetication or a fixed username/password. We require the
third variant, which is described like this in the print provider UI
"Automatically use the Windows logon name and password (and domain if
any)".

It would be okay if the username/password were provided with HTTP
basic athentication or better with Kerberos authentication. However,
when the option is selected, Windows sends a custom IPP request with
an operation ID of 16384 (0x4000) to the CUPS server, which is not
understood by it.

Has anybody dealt with this before?

Thanks and regards,

Stephan