[cups-devel] Virtual Printer for page counting (Qt Client Server programJörn-Ingo Weigert

jiweigert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 03:07:26 PST 2016

Hi Alok,

> I belive you need a printer server & client setup.  Try CUPS.

Thats why i am asking here, ;)
i need a independent way to hook up on any print job a customer sends to a
printer from any application (like Firefox, Libreoffice, etc.) on a client
pc. The reason for this is to provide a printPreview with additional infos,
like price per Page, etc. and give the customer to change amount of copies,
way of printing (b/w, double sided ...).

As at moment I only found that CUPS offer a page-log where i can see what a
customer have printed, but cant hook on it to provide a customized print
preview. And additionally these happends only for some postscript- /
raster-printing printers not for any printer.

Thats why i am asking if its possible too create a kind of simple virtual
"fake" printer, which accepts printjobs and where i can hook into to access
the printjob details, provide my custom Print Preview for accounting
(adding printing costs to customers session bill).
Internally I could then redirect the printjob to a existing printer
provided by the server.

Do I think to complicated, because there is already a existing solution by
CUPS (please advise me)?

Kind regards,

Jörn-Ingo Weigert