[cups-devel] Controlling printer options with IPP attributes

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Oct 1 12:02:58 PDT 2016

Stephan,

> On Sep 29, 2016, at 3:06 AM, Stephan <stephanwib at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I´m designing a cloud based printing solution which is based on PDF as
> the page description language. That means that print jobs are sent
> from the datacenter to our customer´s printers over a WAN link. This
> is a pretty new approach and there are almost no PPDs available that
> produce PDF output.

Actually, there are a LOT of people using this exact configuration.  The two most common configurations are using a printer driver on the datacenter server (with the usual PPD there) or having the datacenter server talk to a CUPS server at the customer site, which has the driver and is sharing it to the datacenter server.  Some sites also copy the customer PPD to the datacenter server and replace the cupsFilter lines with:

    *cupsFilter: "application/pdf 0 -"