[cups-devel] IPP Everywhere: Lexmark printer does not provide media-size-supportedTill Kamppeter

till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 02:18:01 PDT 2016

On 10/21/2016 11:03 AM, Stephan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I´m referring to my Lexmark C748 printer with a current firmware
> version installed. When this printer is discovered using IPP
> everywhere, the resulting PPD has no PageSize/PageRegion/ImagableArea
> information.
>
> That is because the printer does not return a media-size-supported
> collection for the Get-Printer-Attributes call (it does only provide
> media-supported). Is media-size-supported mandatory for IPP 2.0? I
> think there is no way get this working except for Lexmark fixing their
> firmware.

This printer should work with cups-browsed, as cups-browsed fills in
missing essential options with defaults, meaning that at least some
paper sizes you will be able to use. You have to set
"CreateIPPPrinterQueues Yes" in /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf and you
should get a print queue automatically as soon as you restart cups-browsed.

But contact Lexmark anyway, this is really a firmware bug.

Aveek Basu from Lexmark CCed.

    Till