[cups-devel] cups "filter failed"

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Dec 14 09:46:17 PST 2017

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:04:54AM -0600, Jonathan Flores Pacheco wrote:
> i. I'm, trying to connect Bixolon Thermal Printer with raspberry pi, but
> see of error (filter failed).

I'm going to make the assumption that you downloaded the CUPS driver for
your unspecified printer model from the Bixolon web site and properly
followed its installation instructions.

If you did that, here's the short answer: It won't work, because the
Bixolon Linux drivers (and SDKs) are only produced for systems built on
x86 or x86_64 processors (ie traditional PCs) while the Rapsberry Pi
uses an ARM-based processor.

> ??What do I need to do so that he does not show me this error?

You have four options:

 1) Contact Bixolon and politely ask them for drivers that will work on
    ARM-based Linux systems.  (They already have some support for Android)
 2) Use an x86-based system to drive the printer
 3) Write a driver that will work on ARM systems (or convince someone
    to do it for you).
 4) Don't bother with a driver, don't let CUPS manage the printer, and
    and instead use the command protocol documentation that Bixolon
    provides to generate the print job you want.  This is approach
    typically used with this sort of printer.

Cheers,

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^