[cups-devel] Print-URI implementationMichael Sweet

msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 20 05:52:29 PST 2017

Stephan,

> On Jan 20, 2017, at 6:55 AM, Stephan <stephanwib at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>

>> You might want to look at the IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions specification, which defines how to do Cloud printing for IPP and can be found here:
>>
>>        http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippinfra10-20150619-5100.18.pdf <http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippinfra10-20150619-5100.18.pdf>
>
> I have read that specification, of which I wasn´t aware yet. It looks
> very promising and might contribute to further harmonising
> technologies in the field of printing.
>
> Is CUPS supposed to act as the "IPP Infrastructure Printer" going
> forward?

Right now CUPS does not support it, and (at the moment anyways) we don't have plans to add support.

There is a separate CUPS-based IPP sample project on Github hosted by the ISTO-PWG (https://github.com/istopwg/ippsample <https://github.com/istopwg/ippsample>) that has most of the bits in place for a complete IPP INFRA implementation.  I have yet to finish the proxy implementation so I can test the last bits of the server implementation, but it is probably and easy/better place to start than retrofitting cupsd (which has a lot of legacy baggage to support...)

> I suspect that physical printers need to act as both the
> proxy service and output device. The question is when will compatible
> devices be available.

It is coming, slowly, and mainly for high-end MFPs that get used in complex corporate/school networks.