[cups-devel] Removing deprecated PPD API with new CUPS API in Cups Filter Programming

Sahil Arora sahilarora.535 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 13:39:56 PDT 2017

Michael and Till,
Thank you for clearing this out. This cleared  a lot of things, including
the implementation details, working and future of CUPS and CUPS filters.

I would also like to bring to your notice that the wiki page of
cups-filters <https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/cups-filters>
has the link for instructions for contributors <
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/database/instructionsforcontributors>.
However, the link redirects to a 404 not found page.

--
Sahil

On Jun 16, 2017 10:12 PM, "Michael Sweet" <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

Till,

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mike, so what happens if we reach a world of 100% driverless printing,
CUPS will go away and be replaced by ippserver and ippserver manages PDL
conversion in a PPD-free way?

The purpose of the PWG ippsample project (which is based on libcups and the
"test" programs) is NOT to be a replacement for CUPS, but rather to provide
a place to safely and publicly prototype new IPP standards and IPP-based
architectures.

I have no doubt that future versions of cupsd will draw on the ippserver
work I've done in the ippsample project (particularly the multithreaded
implementation, IPP INFRA support, and built-in support for a modern
transform pipeline), but ippserver is far from a cupsd or CUPS replacement
at this point in time.