[cups-devel] CUPS job ticket confusionHelge Blischke

helgeblischke at web.de
Mon Mar 6 02:41:28 PST 2017

> Am 06.03.2017 um 11:04 schrieb Stephan <stephanwib at googlemail.com>:
>
> I found out that I need to use ipptool with the print-job test to get
> this working, as lpr seems to send Create-Job+Send-Document. However,
> I am still very unsure as for the possible parameters. Sticking to my
> example, I can only select the paper source using the PPD syntax
> (%cupsJobTicket: inputslot=tray1), not with the IPP syntax
> (%cupsJobTicket: media-source=tray-1). However, other options provided
> in IPP syntax work, e.g. (%cupsJobTicket: sides=two-sided-long-edge,
> %cupsJobTicket: print-color-mode=monochrome).
>
> Is there an overview on the options which can clarify this?

>> Hi!
>>
>> I am confused by how cups job tickets work as there is not that
>> detailed information available. My understanding is that it is
>> possible to insert %cupsJobTicket statements into PS and PDF files,
>> e.g.:
>>
>> %PDF-1.5
>> %cupsJobTicket: sides=two-sided-long-edge
>>
>> I tried with various files and options but none of them were applied.
>> Are there specific prerequisites? Which format of options is to be
>> used, PPD (e.g. InputSlot=Tray1) or IPP (e.g. media-source=tray-1) or
>> both?
>>

>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Stephan

Stephan,

the comments regarding the CUPS job ticket statements in
scheduler/ipp.c
(here from cups-2.1.0) state:

* This function only gets called when printing a single PDF or PostScript
 * file using the Print-Job operation.  It doesn't work for Create-Job +
 * Send-File, since the job attributes need to be set at job creation
 * time for banners to work.  The embedded job ticket stuff is here
 * primarily to allow the Windows printer driver for CUPS to pass in JCL
 * options and IPP attributes which otherwise would be lost.
 *

The job attributes specified this way are – according to the mentioned source code – processed just as e.g. command line
options.

Helge