[cups-devel] Printer Setup Tools and deprecated PPD API

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue May 16 06:56:04 PDT 2017

On 05/16/2017 09:01 AM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> The backends planned for now (and under development in the GSoC) are:
>>
>> 1. CUPS backend - Uses CUPS APIs of new CUPS Programmers Manual, no PPD API. Lists the (permanent-only?) CUPS queues of the local CUPS daemon.
>>
>> 2. IPP backend - Lists printers discovered by DNS-SD, IPP network printers, IPP-over-USB printers, and remote CUPS queues, when the user selects one to print on, a temporary CUPS queue is created so that options can be displayed and the job be sent.
>
> Sigh...  If you just use the published CUPS APIs you get 1 and 2 automatically!

My impression was that the APIs make up the CUPS backend (1), listing
the available CUPS queues (whether permanent or temporary would be
user-selectable) and acting on these when asking for options or sending
jobs.

Does it mean that if I fire up the CUPS daemon (no temporary queues),
having an empty printers.conf (no permanent queues) and immediately call
a CUPS API function (which one?) I get a list of all printers
discoverable via DNS-SD (IPP network printers, IPP-over-USB printers
reported by ippusbxd, remote CUPS queues)? And when I try to access them
via CUPS API functions (which ones?) CUPS generates a temporary queue
with auto-generated PPD and then answers my request (list available
options, take print job and execute it, ...)?

    Till