[cups-devel] Temporary print queues

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed May 17 19:42:47 PDT 2017

On 05/17/2017 10:47 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Since the most recent changes in the Github sources, the "lp" and "lpr" programs will auto-create queues,

Tried with "lp" and it did not do so. I have used the destination name
as reported by cupsEnumDests(). Now cupsd, libcups.so.2, lp, lpoptions,
and lpstat are from GIT. cups-browsed is not running.

> however the "lpstat" program is specifically written to report the status of print queues.

OK.

> We *could* add an lpstat option to enumerate discovered printers (please file a bug...) but I wouldn't want to change "lpstat -p" or "lpstat -v" to list discovered (but not configured) queues as that might cause compatibility issues.

OK, but it would be great by having a way to run cupsEnumDests() from
the command line. An extra flag to supply to the call of lpstat would be
great.

> No, in the current implementation cupsd only discards temporary queues on exit, so generally speaking they will go away several seconds after the last job completes.

Would work well on systems where CUPS terminates a few minutes after
finishing all jobs. If CUPS is held up because there is a shared queue
or a stuck job, the temporary queues would stay until system shutdown or
removal of the stuck job. Perhaps a timeout for temporary queue removal
would be more adequate.

>> 3. If I start cupsd and then call cupsEnumDests() I get a list of available printers, including the DNS-SD-discovered ones. Now I call an API function to make CUPS create a temporary queue for a DNS-SD-discovered printer. This makes the auto-generated PPD file appear in /etc/cups/ppd/. Now I stop cupsd and the PPD is still there. Should it not disappear as the temporary queue disappears when CUPS terminates?
>
> It should delete the PPD - please file a bug.

OK, will do.

>> I use Ubuntu Zesty with CUPS 2.2.2 but have replaced libcups.so.2 by the current GIT state of the art of CUPS (and restarted cupsd, cups-browsed, and avahi-daemon).
>
> It would be useful if you could test things with all of the current Github code...

I have seen that the recent (code, not documentation) changes are only
on the cups/ and scheduler/ directories, not for example on systemv/.
Now I have also updated the scheduler, lp, lpstat, and lpoptions.

    Till