[cups-devel] CUPS License Change Coming

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 23:12:23 PST 2017

On 11/30/2017 05:49 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Thanks, I'll forward this internally at Apple. Our intent is that
> everyone can use and link to CUPS, and our assumption is (based on the
> fact that CUPS is part of most every OS except Windows) that
> libcups/libcupsimage qualify as system-supplied libraries for the
> purposes of the GPLv2/LGPLv2.
> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer

You're right, e.g. if you are saying the libcups is compatible with
GPLv2/LGPLv2 because libcups is OS-supplied library, then it is okay to
link libcups to my software, if I see it compatible too, because intents
of both upstreams matters. (Actually, I don't see reason for other
upstream will see it incompatible - maybe when they have a policy in
which is said Apache2.0+GPLv2 is not compatible, but I don't recall
there is someone like that)

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer