[cups-devel] Adding IPP-over-USB Support to CUPS

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Mon Oct 16 20:44:17 PDT 2017

Greetings,

IPP USB is an extension to the USB Print interface class definition (class 7) that was ratified by the USB-IF in December 2012. All USB-IF standard interface class definitions are listed on their "USB-IF Device Class Documents" page:

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/ <http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/>

If you look under the "Printer Class" heading you will find "IPP Protocol 1.0 and Adopters Agreement". In that zip file you will find the final 1.0 revision of the IPP USB specification. As far as I can tell, this is available without authentication or a paywall.

I have removed the PWG hosted early draft white paper documents, as the final specification stripped away a number of things present in those early drafts, and they will be misleading.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/