[cups-devel] can we print to a file even if there is no printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Feb 23 02:32:51 PST 2018

Hello,

On Feb 23 12:27 My Sadhukhan wrote (excerpt):
> Is it mandatory to have a printer to print to a file too?

You do not need a printer device to use CUPS to send
data to a destination but you need a print queue
to use CUPS to send data to a destination.

Regarding using CUPS to send data to a file,
see in particular the section about
"A backend that sends its input into a file for debugging" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)