[cups-devel] Mac OS config file location

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Fri Sep 6 06:48:44 PDT 2019

> Am 06.09.2019 um 10:12 schrieb Johan Bengtsson <elijah at chalmers.se>:
>
> According to https://www.cups.org/doc/man-client.conf.html
>
> "The client.conf file is deprecated on macOS and will no longer be supported in a future version of CUPS. Configuration settings can instead be viewed or changed using the defaults(1) command:
>
> defaults write /Library/Preferences/org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist Encryption Required
> defaults write /Library/Preferences/org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist TrustOnFirstUse -bool NO
>
> defaults read /Library/Preferences/org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist Encryption
> "
>
> I'm running Mac Os Catalina, I cannot find /Library/Preferences/org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist
> on this machine. Has it moved?
> Is it still possible to use client.conf on the Mac for settings
> regarding encrytion etc.
>
> -Johan Bengtsson

On my system (10.14.6 aka Mojave) a file named „org.cups.PrintingPrefs.plist“ does not exist. But
the defaults domain „org.cups.PrintingPrefs“ is known to the defaults system. For instance,
the command
defaults read org.cups.PrintingPrefs
outputs
{
    DefaultPaperID = "iso-a4";
    LastUsedPrinters =     (
                {
            Network = "192.168.8.1";
            PrinterID = "display__hostname";
        },
                {
            Network = "192.168.1.1";
            PrinterID = display;
        },
                {
            Network = "192.168.2.1";
            PrinterID = "n1__OKI_DATA_CORP_C3600__another_hostname";
        }
    );
    PDFAuthor = "";
    SavedDuplexState = 2;
    UseLastPrinter = 0;
    "com.apple.print.preset.defaultToStandardPreset" = 0;
    "com.apple.print.recentPDFActions" =     (
        "Als PDF sichern",
        "Als PostScript sichern"
    );
}

Read the defaults manpage and check if the keywords defined for client.conf are accepted by the defaults command.
BTW, the client.conf is tagged as deprecated but still usable.

Helge