[cups.general] Can't print from KDE apps

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Aug 17 04:35:12 PDT 2004

Mark Thorp Duxbury wrote:

> On Monday 16 August 2004 07:49, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
> > The "/ioerror in --read--" means that Ghostscript couldn't read (or
> > continue to read)
> > the requested file. Check your configuration - is the directory where to
> > find fonts
> > correctly set, has it the necessary read/exec permissions, and what
> > about the permissions
> > of the font files in that directory?.
> >
> > Moreover, the error code 21 should mean (Linux): "the file in question
> > is a directory",
> > but the error codes that gs gives are not always reliable.
> >
> > Helge
>
> Thank you.  Assuming that this
>
> D [16/Aug/2004:14:29:34 -0400] [Job 1533] Error: /ioerror in --read--
> D [16/Aug/2004:14:29:34 -0400] [Job 1533] Operand stack:
> D [16/Aug/2004:14:29:34 -0400] [Job 1533] Verdana-Uni-00   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--         Font      488829      --nostringval--      ()
> (/usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/)   --nostringval--   FontType
> --nostringval--
>
> means that gs is somehow unhappy with something related
> to /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/ ...  That directory exists (it
> belongs to the ghostscript package itself - but that package doesn't put
> anything in there) and the permissions look right; it is however empty.  I'm
> not sure what, if anything, is supposed to be in there.  My ghostscript fonts
> (5.50) are in /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript and my TT fonts (from a
> copy of Windows I own) are in /usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType (and
> GS_LIB=/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType - I've never known if that was needed
> or not).  I've never seen this problem before and even now with nothing but
> kde (I suppose that qt does the acuual work) - whatever gs is looking at this
> directory for, it appears to only do so in this specific case.
>
> Anyway, assuming that something related to this directory is the problem,
> could someone possibly suggest what gs is looking for in it?

Well, I cannot determine what went wrong in some of your setup runs, but
it should be
fairly easy to solve the issue. As you say that only KDE apps show this
error, modify
your KDE environment as to define the environment variable GS_FONTPATH
to contain all these directories your fonts are in, e.g.
GS_FONTPATH="/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript:/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType"
export GS_FONTPATH
(for sh, ksh, bash etc.).

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de