printer stoppages

Mark Brophy markbrophy at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:00:46 PDT 2004

Hello:
Basically, I'm throwing an error when the printer won't talk back. This makes sense, in my opinion.  It appears that this will stop the printer.  But more importantly, when the printer goes dorment, CUPS disables it, and I will have to manually restart.  I noticed this reply from Michael Sweet:
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s411+gcups.general+Gcups+v411

It is similar to my problem, except since I'm using a custom backend, I don't think I can use a generic name.  My lpinfo -v
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
network cupspykota:socket
network cupspykota:http
network cupspykota:ipp
network cupspykota:lpd
direct cupspykota:scsi
serial cupspykota:serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp0
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp1
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp2
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp3
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp4
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp5
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp6
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp7
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp8
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp9
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp10
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp11
direct cupspykota:usb:/dev/usblp12

has no real generic name listing, as network cupspykota:socket actually describes a number of printers.  Am I being clear?
Thanks again,
-Mark