"intelligent" load balancing or duplex detection

Elvin Lee elvlee at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:35:55 PDT 2004

Hello everyone,

Many apologies if this has been addressed before in this newsgroup ... I
tried to do searches for this subject, but I did not find anything
appropriate.

I have two printers down here at the undergraduate labs -- an HP
LaserJet 8100N and an HP LaserJet 8100DN. The latter supports duplexing,
the former does not. Currently, the two printers are configured on a
machine which functions as our print server. A class is also present,
which contains both printers. Client computers print to the
ipp://server/classes/balance class, so their jobs are sent to one of the
two printers, as appropriate.

The problem, of course, is that only one of the printers support
duplexing. Is there a way that I can configure cups on the server to
automatically send duplex jobs to one of the printers in the class,
rather than choosing between the two?

Any other elegant solutions are welcome as well...

Thanks in advance to any who can help. :)

Elvin