cups: no access with dyndns

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 5 08:22:47 PDT 2004

jba wrote:
>> Probably what is happening is that the reverse lookup of the IP
>> address is not returning lisa.dyndns.org.
>>

> I thought cups would only do this with 'HostNameLookups Double' but
> not with 'HostNameLookups On'. Or did I miss something?

The "double" option does:

     IP -> name
     name -> IP2

If the IP -> name lookup fails or if IP != IP2, then the host
is rejected.

The normal hostname lookup stuff just does the IP -> name
lookup, and uses the IP as the name if it can't be found.

> Sorry, I think I wasnt clear enough. What I want ist to do some
> administration jobs on a system that is located somewhere else. The
> remote system has amodem connection and my has a dsl connevtion, both
> with dynamic IPs from different providers. I would like to configure
> cups in such a way, that I am able to access the web-frontend of cups
> only with my system. So it wont help me to allow access from a local
> subnet.

OK, I understand now.  What I would do is use the "host" command
(used to be called "nslookup" in older versions of bind) with your
IP address to see what it turns up, and then use that name.
CUPS will only use the dyndns name if the IP resolver returns
that name.