[cups.general] Greetings and questions

Dirk Hamsun Bartley dbartley at schupan.com
Thu Aug 12 17:05:39 PDT 2004

Greetings

I am currently using cups v 1.1.20 on a suse 9.1 pro installation have a
couple of tasks I would like to accomplish.  These are two tasks that I
accomplished on a Redhat7.1 machine in the past.  I modified the bash
filter located at /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/asc-to-printer.fpi.  The
modification was to us wc -L to test for the max width of a text request
and then used it's output to determine the value of the -W option in the
mpage command.  The result was wider docuents were printed 130 wide and
80 character or less requests were printed 80 wide.  Is it possible to
accomplish this with cups.

I've spent 10 hours or so searching the newsgroup archives and have yet
to find any lpoptions that look like they would work.  I can
succsessfully create a printer that will work either way and am
searching for a way to base the width of the output on the width of the
input.  Would putting a perl script wrapper in place of the texttops
filter be a possible effective solution?  Is there a way to edit a ppd
file to achieve these resluts.  Is there a specific driver that already
has this as an option.  I am using HP Laserjet models from 4000 to 4100.

The second task should be an easy one but have not yet come across the
answer.  For a couple of printers I would like to send duplicate jobs to
a different printer.  What is the way to achieve this.

Thank You in advance for the help

Dirk