cups: no access with dyndns

jba juergen.bausa at web.de
Thu Aug 5 07:30:20 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:
> jba wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I have a box running debian woody and cups 1.1.14. Cups is running fine.
> > Using http://localhost:631 I can reach it with my brwowser. The next

> > Then I tried the same using my address at dyndns.org:
> >
> > 	Allow From lisa.dyndns.org
> >
> > And this did not work! The browser tells me, that I do not have acess
> > rights. How can this be? It seems that cups differentiates between
> > dynamic and static names. Is this intended? Is there any option to
> > change this?
>
> Probably what is happening is that the reverse lookup of the IP
> address is not returning lisa.dyndns.org.

I thought cups would only do this with 'HostNameLookups Double' but not with 'HostNameLookups On'. Or did I miss something?

> A simpler solution is to use:
>
>      Allow from @LOCAL
>
> which will allow access on the local subnet (of which your IP is
> a part), however that would mean that anyone else on the same DSL
> segment would be able to access your system, too...

Sorry, I think I wasnt clear enough. What I want ist to do some administration jobs on a system that is located somewhere else. The remote system has amodem connection and my has a dsl connevtion, both with dynamic IPs from different providers. I would like to configure cups in such a way, that I am able to access the web-frontend of cups only with my system. So it wont help me to allow access from a local subnet.

The only reason why I tried this only on my system was because the remote system had no connection at that time.

> I think we could provide an @name for the local interface addresses,
> such that access would be allowed from the local machine's addresses
> no matter what they are currently set to.  If you are interested in
> that functionality, could you file a request at:
>
>      http://www.cups.org/str.php
>
> That way we can track it as it is implemented...

Juergen