Authentification problems

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Aug 6 13:05:37 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm pretty new to this whole cups business and I'm already in need of help...
> I want to use a printer in the uni network (under TCP). Most printers show up fine, but not my printer. Therefore I tried to configure it (in grafical mode, not commandline, as I am new...), with IP adress, etc.
> Now the problem is: Cups wants a password. I can't even access the "Do Administration Task" on <http://localhost:631>. As far as I understand it the localhost is my own computer. So using my password should work, or at least the root password. Neither one does.
> Any solutions?
>
> In the cupsd.conf file the AuthType is not on NONE, which would be default apparently. So when has this all changed? Can't be a mistake made by me, since I first heard about Cups today and I haven't been able to change anything.
> Yep, I'm in deep ...
> Daniel

If you are using Linux, try:

1. try using command lppasswd to create user and password (it is called CUPS digest pw file) which you can use for http://localhost:631
I use root and its pw.
2. Try to make all cups files permission to lp lp first and then tighten it and test as you require.

NAME
lppasswd - add, change, or delete digest passwords.
SYNOPSIS
lppasswd [ -a ] [ -g groupname ] [ -x ] [ username ]
DESCRIPTION
lppasswd adds, changes, or deletes passwords in the CUPS digest password file, passwd.md5. When run by a normal user, lppasswd will prompt for the old and new passwords. When run by the super-user, lppasswd can add new accounts (-a username), change existing accounts (username), or delete accounts (-x username) in the digest password file. Digest usernames do not have to match local UNIX usernames, but only UNIX usernames are supported by the CUPS client programs (lp(1), lpr(1), etc.)

The -g option specifies a group other than the system group - "sys", "system", or "root", depending on the operating system.