server-error-internal-error when doing "Configure Printer"

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Aug 11 00:01:48 PDT 2004

I am having a strange problem with cups-1.1.20 on Slackware-10.0.
I have a no. of PCs here with the above software and some do not give me the server-error-internal-error message when I attempt to "Configure Printer" while others do. I turned on "debug" LogLevel and this message seems to indicate the problem:
D [11/Aug/2004:08:59:10 +0200] SendError() 10 code=403 (Forbidden)
This code=403 looks like an http error but I'm not sure what CUPS is trying to tell me exactly. Can someone help me with this?
Also, as an aside, I have tested the ppd files I am using with "cupstestppd" and I am puzzled by the results because even those ppd files that fail seem to work. I am using ppds that came with the setup cds for the printers, as foomatic ppds are not available for all of them.
This leads me to the following question:
Is it better to use the ppd distributed with the OEM software or the foomatic ppd if it is available?

Regards
Mathew Holleran