cups: no access with dyndns

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Aug 6 03:35:46 PDT 2004

jba wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:

>> The "double" option does:
>>
>> IP -> name name -> IP2
>>
>> If the IP -> name lookup fails or if IP != IP2, then the host is
>> rejected.
>>
>> The normal hostname lookup stuff just does the IP -> name lookup,
>> and uses the IP as the name if it can't be found.
>>

> Tahnks, now I understand. But why is cups using this reverse lookup
> scheme? Security reasons? If cups would use the name I specified with

First, it is consistent with Apache, and we try to emulate the
HTTP functionality/configuration of Apache whenever possible to
avoid confusion.  The current implementation matches the behavior
of Apache.

Second, the double-lookup is a security feature.

Finally, we don't lookup the IP of allow/deny names for performance
reasons - if you have thousands of connections per second (definite
possibility on a busy server) you don't want to be doing extra
host lookups for every allow/deny name!

> 'Allow From', looks up its ip and then compares this with the IP of
> the client, everything would be ok. I think, this is the only way to
> allow administartion with a dynamic ip. Wouldnt it be a good idea, to
> implement an option to anable this?

No, for the reasons above.

> I am not sure if I understood you right. But I think I would have to
> replace each dynamic ip (or its name) in cupsd.conf. So I would first
> need to login via ssh, cahnage cupsd.conf, restart cups and would
> then be able to have web access. Is this what you meant?

No, just that the resolver needs to be told that your dynamic IP
maps to your dyndns hostname.  The simplest way to do this is to
add your IP to the /etc/hosts file.