MacOSX 10.3.5 need secure,authenticated printing - how?

Dag Tore Antonsen d.t.antonsen at usit.uio.nospam
Thu Aug 12 05:53:40 PDT 2004

In article <411B5EC1.1839 at srz-berlin.de>,
 Helge Blischke <H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de> wrote:

> > What we want:
> > We need to have the user logging in on for example a MacOSX-machine to
> > either be authenticated automatcially (via Active Directory or
> > something), OR that it pops up a window, asking for username and
> > password every time you print. We don't want to store anything about the
> > user/password on the machine. Is it in someway possible to configure
> > CUPS in this way?
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> I can't tell much about MacOS X, but as for client workstations running
> UNIXes (including Linux) or some Windows >= NT4, it should be sufficient
> to do some kind of "trusted" login at the workstation (via WINS, NIS,
> LDAP
> or whatever). If the pair consisting of workstation and user name is
> unique,
> it sould be no problem to installe a suitable billing system with CUPS
> (the job attributes to digest being job-originating-host-name and
> job-originating-user-name).
>
> Or do I miss something?

Thank you for your answer.

All of our 50000 users do authenticate through Active Directory on
MacOSX, which works very well. They can log into "most" of the 10000
machines we have (Linux, Windows, Unix and MacOSX). We have one large
database for all of our users which contains all their data (NIS, LDAP,
Active Directory, Print quotas etc etc). Personally, I think using
LPD/LPR as we are doing now works great, but you can then have for
example a laptop with a local user account, saying that you are person
xxxx or make up a fake name and print is this persons name. Is there a
method of authenticating through any of the mechanisms in CUPS (without
storing my username and password in printers.conf)? Is there a solution
to our problem? The students will have to pay for each page they print,
so it's important we have a system they can trust.

Can a CUPS server help?

;)

--
/Dag/Tore/Antonsen