Not showing printers via lpstat as a normal user.

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Aug 12 06:15:24 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> > The permissions are 644 on the client that is not working and 644 on
> > the client that is working. Is there any debugging that can be done
> > on the client end? I did not see any debug options in the client.conf
> > file.
>
> Solaris has the truss program which does what strace on Linux; at
> least then you'll see what host the client is trying to connect to.
>
> Also, check that the environment does not contain a variable called
> "CUPS_SERVER" and that the local user account does not have a
> ..cupsrc file in the home directory.
>
> --
> Printing Software for UNIX                       http://www.easysw.com

I ran the truss program and noticed that it was using the wrong path to open the client.conf file. It was using a path that was set on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and not the normal PATH (I wonder why?). I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then ran "lpstat -t" as a normal user and it worked. Another option was to just to use the CUPS_SERVER option.