printer default configuration: collate

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Aug 13 05:21:21 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:

> Hi Helge

> > Does the web interface, when configuring the printer(s), offer the
> > collate option
> > (maybe using the localized keyword, if present)?
> Yes, it offers. But I suppose that CUPS are able to handle 'collate'/'not collate' by itself and don't really need the printer inside functionality 'collate' . In that case, how can the 'collate' option configured network wide ?
>
> > And, within the PPD, it should read "DefaultHPCollate", otherwise CUPS
> > probably
> > wouldn't recognize it.
> Sure.
>
> Again, I suppose using a way to configure 'collate' via the PPD, don't fit's exactly how CUPS manage 'collate'. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Well, if I understand you correctlxy, you want some means to specify a
set of
system-wide default options rather than configuring every printer
individually.
What CUPS 1.1.x currently offers is the lpoptions file stuff, but this
works
only within the local machine, these options are not broadcast over the
net.

I guess you have to wait for CUPS 1.2.x to become reliably usable,
which,
according to Michael Sweet, should take place somewhere this autumn.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org