[cups.general] PDF Forms printing

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Aug 13 09:22:53 PDT 2004

Bill Moseley wrote:

> I suspect this is a pdftops issue.  I have a pdf file (version 1.5)
> that uses "forms" that allow fields to be filled in using acroread.  I
> actually received this pdf with some of the fields already filled in
> with some of my personal data.
>
> Trying to print this file my HP 1100 laser printer (non-postscript)
> fails -- the lights flash a bit on the printer but nothing prints.
> The print queue is empty, and I see nothing in the cups error_log
> indicating a problem.
>
> I also tried printing using acroread but same result.
>
> If I use pdftops directly and then try and display with gv the
> form displays without the filled-in data and I get a ghostscript error
> message (below).  gs will generate the same error, display the form
> for an instant and then abort.
>
> I'm running an up-to-date Debian Sid.
>
> Would you agree that this is a pdftops issue?
>
> I was able to print on a WinXP machine.
>
> ESP Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-07-12)
> Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights reserved.
> This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
> Substituting espgsMissingChar for space   **********
> Error: /undefined in --get--
> Operand stack:
>    ( )   0   --dict:11/14(ro)(L)--   32   space   --dict:4/256(ro)(L)--   space
> [...]
> Current allocation mode is local
> Current file position is 348926
> ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

That is strange. The message I marked with asterisks suggests that the
font is corrupt
(assuming that gs itself is OK):
The font in question seems to be an embedded subset from the PDF but
containing no
glyph with the name space nor the .notdef glyph, but the space is going
to be printed.

Post an URL to the PDF so that somebody may have a look into.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org