IPP over SSL

Johannes Grumboeck johannes.grumboeck at porsche.co.at
Mon Aug 9 07:39:51 PDT 2004

As far as I know IPP, it is "normal" HTTP-Traffic. So, whenever somebody
sniffs my session between server and hp jetdirect/printer he can rebuild
the printdata. Therefore IPP can be tunneled over SSL to encrypt data.
I think this is a good solution.
I've phoned with HP technical support and the technician also say HP Jetdirect are able to decrypt IPP/SSL traffic.
Perhaps no printer itself can do this, but I don't care about this now :-)

best regards,
Johannes

PS: Sure. The IPP-Uri should not contain the AppSocket port. Thanks - my fault.