"intelligent" load balancing or duplex detection

Robert E A Harvey me at privacy.com
Tue Aug 17 11:16:42 PDT 2004

Elvin Lee wrote:
> The problem, of course, is that only one of the printers support
> duplexing. Is there a way that I can configure cups on the server to
> automatically send duplex jobs to one of the printers in the class,
> rather than choosing between the two?

I've read the official reply, but it's got me thinking.  Are these
network connected? they sound like it, being an 'N' product.

It might be possible to create a totally separate duplex queue, pointing
separately  to the duplex machine, and print to that?  It would
certainly work with jetadmin on Solaris, I've done that sort of thing -
an A4 queue and an A5 queue onto the same machine.

Never tried it with CUPS - my system was quite straightforward, two
printers each with a unique queue, 'cos they were not physically close.