Form Feed Problem

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Aug 1 21:35:51 PDT 2004

I have Red Hat Linux ES with a high speed band printer configured under CUPS. The only way I could get this to work was to use a "Generic" driver with the "Raw Print Queue" model. This actually works well.

The only problem is that I need it to do a form feed after each print job (something like the "Send Form-Feed (FF) driver option) but there are no options for this under Driver Options. Any ideas on how I can get this to do a form feed?

I have been looking at the CUPS documentation and wonder if I can:

1. Setup a filter for this
2. Create a custom banner page which forces FF before banner prints
3. Create a custom PPD file. This looks like it might be rather difficult:)

As one last note, the printer in question emulates an Epson FX-1050, so I tried this driver. After playing around with cpi,lpi, Left and Right margins in the "Queue Options", I have the pages sized right and selecting the FF option in the printer driver solves the form feed problem BUT now the printer is terribly slow!!! Almost like the printer is forced into Letter Qualtiy mode? Is there anyway to address this speed issue? Lastly, in looking at the "Queue Options",
I am wondering if I can do something about FF in here. Is there an Option Name for this?

Any answers to these questions and/or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff