[cups.general] Re: Re: autohold

Ludovic Hutin lhutin at umb.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Aug 6 00:34:37 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have a solution to your problem, not really simple to do but very
effective
you must install two cups

the first LINUX printer is configure with the PPD of the printer and
send in lpd to the LINUX printer on the second cups server..
the first WINDOWS printer is configure in RAW mode and send in lpd to
the WINDOWS printer on the second cups server

then on your second cups server , you have to enable the lpd deamon. for
each job arrive, he will add the option job-hold-until=indefinite
With inetd on FreeBSD. I use this personnaly at my university.
( printer stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
cups-lpd -o job-hold-until=indefinite )

you have in install the two printer on the second printer
the LINUX printer is configure in RAW mode  and send to the printer
the WINDOWS printer is configure with the PPD printer and send to the
printer

You have to configure the linux and the windows printer differently
otherwise your printer will never print what you want to print ;)

It's should working and do what you need
I hope i was clear in my explication
If you need more help, just ask :)

PS: Sorry for my bad english ;)

Ludovic HUTIN