cups: no access with dyndns

jba juergen.bausa at web.de
Thu Aug 5 23:44:40 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:
> jba wrote:
> >> Probably what is happening is that the reverse lookup of the IP
> >> address is not returning lisa.dyndns.org.
>
> The "double" option does:
>
>      IP -> name
>      name -> IP2
>
> If the IP -> name lookup fails or if IP != IP2, then the host
> is rejected.
>
> The normal hostname lookup stuff just does the IP -> name
> lookup, and uses the IP as the name if it can't be found.

Tahnks, now I understand. But why is cups using this reverse lookup scheme? Security reasons? If cups would use the name I specified with 'Allow From', looks up its ip and then compares this with the IP of the client, everything would be ok. I think, this is the only way to allow administartion with a dynamic ip. Wouldnt it be a good idea, to implement an option to anable this?

> OK, I understand now.  What I would do is use the "host" command
> (used to be called "nslookup" in older versions of bind) with your
> IP address to see what it turns up, and then use that name.
> CUPS will only use the dyndns name if the IP resolver returns
> that name.

I am not sure if I understood you right. But I think I would have to replace each dynamic ip (or its name) in cupsd.conf. So I would first need to login via ssh, cahnage cupsd.conf, restart cups and would then be able to have web access. Is this what you meant?

At the moment, it seems to be the only possible way. But its tedious.

Juergen