cups: no access with dyndns

jba juergen.bausa at web.de
Thu Aug 5 00:52:51 PDT 2004

Dear List,

I have a box running debian woody and cups 1.1.14. Cups is running fine.
Using http://localhost:631 I can reach it with my brwowser. The next
step for me was to try access from the internet. My system has just one
network connection (dsl, no LAN). Since I always get a dynamic ip from
my provider, I have an symbolic adress at dyndns.or (e.g.
lisa.dyndns.org). This address works fine (I testet it from different
computers). I then opened port 631 in the firewall and tried
http://lisa.dyndns.org:631 to access cups from my own system. This did
not work with the default settings. It seems that cups handles this in
the same way as an external access. Ok, I can then use this to test
access from outside without a second system.

Next I changed the original section of cupsd.conf:

	<Location />
	Order Deny,Allow
	Deny From All
	Allow From 127.0.0.1
	</Location>

and added my actual ip:

	Allow from 80.133.12.21

After that it worked as it should. The next step was to put in the name
of the interface at my provider and to remove the numeric ip:

	Allow from p50850C15.dip0.t-ipconnect.de

I also added the option

	HostNameLookups On

(Yes, after each change I restarted cups)

With this configuration it also worked.

Then I tried the same using my address at dyndns.org:

	Allow From lisa.dyndns.org

And this did not work! The browser tells me, that I do not have acess
rights. How can this be? It seems that cups differentiates between
dynamic and static names. Is this intended? Is there any option to
change this?

Regards,

Jürgen